2013 has been another great year for us thanks to our member companies, allied organizations, partners, our many volunteers and, of course, the Two Sides team that do much of the day-to-day work. This alliance is helping us fulfill our mission which, we believe, is essential to all of us who use print and paper products everyday, and the millions who work in the print and paper value chain.
Some 2013 Highlights
- 22 leading U.S. companies (ex: banks, utilities, telecoms) have removed their “anti-paper” claims due to our campaign to challenge misleading “go green – go paperless” claims.
- We sent an open letter to Google’s Chairman which led to the removal of anti-paper claims on the Paperless2013 Coalition website.
- Our “No Wonder You Love Paper” ads have appeared in over 10 different publications.
- Lynette Maymi was the winner of our popular “Ecographic” contest with a great design. Posters will be distributed in 2014.
- Our National consumer survey on e-statements vs paper gave us great results to promote paper and print.
- Our Myths and Facts brochures has again been picked up and printed up by many. Version 3 will come out next year.
- Our social media alliance on Facebook, Linked In and Twitter continues to grow. Join us if you haven’t already.
- Some of our blogs received much attention, like our recent one: Scientific American: Why the brain prefers paper.
Two Sides U.S. now has over 65 commercial member companies. They are from sectors across the graphic communication value chain, including paper producers and merchants, envelope manufacturers, printers, direct mail companies, printing equipment manufacturers, and more. In 2013, twenty-three new commercial member companies joined us, including and Canon .
Over 30 Allied Organizations. In 2013, seven new Allied Organizations joined us. Our allies now include environmental think thanks such as Dovetail Partners, several industry trade associations such as AF&PA, the NPTA Alliance, the Envelope Manufacturers Association,The Association of Suppliers of Printing, Publishing and Converting Technologies, (PSDA), , The Imaging Network Group ( ), and advocacy groups such as Consumer for Paper Options, to name a few. Eight U.S. colleges are also part of our network:
- North Carolina State University Pulp and Paper Foundation
- State University of New York – Environmental Sciences and Forestry
- Miami University Paper Science and Engineering Foundation
- Western Michigan University – Paper Technology Foundation
- Cal Poly San Luis Obispo – Graphic Communication Department
- University of North Florida – Coggin College of Business
- University of Houston – Digital Media Program
- University of Wisconsin – Stevens Point – Paper Science Foundation
Several publishers have donated ad space for our “No Wonder You Lover Paper” campaign. Two Sides ads have now appeared in the following magazines / newspapers.
- Discover Adams Avenue
- Editor & Publisher
- Gravure Magazine
- Inc. Magazine
- National Geographic
- Print Solutions
- at Penn State
- The Social Media Monthly
- The Union Democrat
Our committees regroup volunteers from 24 organizations. We owe them much! They are the governance of Two Sides and help set the direction forward. The following organizations hold seats on our Board of Directors and committees:
- Appleton Coated
- Canon USA
- Case Paper Company
- Dovetail Partners
- Earth Color
- Envelope Manufacturers Association
- Lindenmeyr Munroe
- Norkol Inc. and Converting
- NPES, The Association for Suppliers of Printing , Publishing and Converting Technologies
- Premier Press
- Sappi Fine Paper North America
- State University of New York – Environmental Sciences & Forestry
- The NPTA Alliance
- Twin Rivers Paper
- Western States Envelope & Label
Our Two Sides team and partners help deliver what you see! A personal thanks to all who have helped deliver the Two Sides U.S. program this year. Your dedication, passion for the cause, great work and advice is much appreciated.
- Deborah Corn at PrintMediaCentr
- Jamie Kenny from Kenny Consulting Group
- Lillian Polz and Kristin at Hanna, Zappa & Polz
- Martyn Eustace, Sonya Sanghera, Sarah Collins and the rest of the Two Sides UK team
- Ronnie Hwang, Pamm Schroeder and Kevin Gammonley at the NPTA Alliance
- Simona Marcellus, Raine Hyde, and Jan Bottiglieri at TAPPI
On behalf of all of us at Two Sides U.S. we thank all of you who follow our activities, distribute our information, and help grow our network to promote the sustainability of print and paper.
Have a Great Holiday Season and a Happy New Year.
President, Two Sides U.S.